Caspari, Inc. located in Charlottesville, VA, is seeking a full time Designer to join our team. Caspari is a publishing company with a focus on creating beautiful product using licensed museum and artist designs for our table top, home décor, gift packaging and greeting card collections. As a member of the Caspari design team, you will work directly with Product Development, Sales & Marketing and eCommerce teams to conceptualize and develop 3 seasonal collections a year.
The primary focus of this position is creating layouts for all product lines using original artwork from our roster of artists and museums and from your own artwork, either digital or hand painted or drawn. We are searching for a highly creative individual who understands how to mix “looks” to create a cohesive collection with a strong point of view, as well as supplement our ever-growing archive of artwork with their own original art, be it a design for a greeting card, an original illustration for a catalog cover, or an allover repeating pattern to be developed as a gift wrap or napkin.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent color sense, experience with surface or textile design and creating repeats and engineered prints, strong interest in typography and a great love of high design and interest in current and historical textile, fashion and interior design. You must be willing and able to receive feedback in frequent design meetings and understand the importance of editing and working through all the possibilities of a design without emotional attachment. You should bring new and innovative ideas to the table, but respect and embrace the history of the company and the identity we have built as a brand with a very loyal, long-time customer base.
In addition to creating layouts for Caspari products, you will be required to follow through the product lifecycle from conception to finished product, communicating regularly with internal teams and outside vendors, both domestic and overseas. You will need to give clear, detailed direction to manufacturers and printers and report back to management on development status.
There may also be instances of the design of marketing collateral, such as product packaging, displays, and in-store signage.
As a small company and tight-knit team, we all pitch in and perform any tasks that are required. We are looking for candidates who value a highly collaborative environment and are eager to learn from and share with their coworkers.
- Excellent Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign skills.
- Great sense of color and strong knowledge of typography demonstrated in portfolio
- Be creative, innovative, and work well within a team environment. Able to think outside the box and introduce new ideas into the Caspari lexicon.
- Receptive to constructive criticism in design meetings, able to internalize and react appropriately. Able to offer feedback to other design team members in a positive and constructive manner.
- Be able to multitask, be flexible and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be organized, detail oriented and fast learner.
- A degree in graphic arts, textile design or illustration and at least 2 years of work experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with Outlook, Excel, Google Drive.
- Prepress experience is helpful.
- Position in Charlottesville, VA.
Please send resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.